Novaform 14″ Serafina Pearl Gel Queen Memory Foam Mattress
Recently, I read a very interesting article on the effect of sleep deprivation on everyday life. Well, we all know how waking up sleep deprived can feel, right? What made the article more interesting were the probably causes of sleep deprivation that research has dug up.
Apart from the commonly known ones, there were quite a few, which I was unaware of.
One of them is thermoregulation, the regulation of body temperature which is sluggish while you sleep. So, in effect, your body cannot cool or warm it as well as it can during the day time. The other is the alignment of our spine. Both these factors are dependent on the mattress we sleep on.
Surprise, surprise! And you always thought it was your partner who snores like a rundown tractor. Err…we’ll talk about that another day.
The fact is that you may not put a lot of thought into it while picking a mattress, but believe me, there is a lot more to it than a comfortable sleeping surface.
And it was this thought that made me dig deeper into the market looking beyond misleading salespersons to find a mattress that ticked all the right boxes.
Despite being overwhelmed at the number of choices, I was thoroughly impressed with the Novaform 14” Serafina Pearl Gel Mattress and here are my reasons for it.
Firm and Comfortable sleeping surface
Novaform Serafirna is one of the latest additions to Novaform’s range of innovative sleeping solutions that club scientific research with good old human comfort. This plush mattress is 14 inches in thickness and is a combination of three different types of foam which adhere to the body’s pressure points and also regulate the temperature when you sleep.
There’s an 8 inch base layer made of therapeutic foam which provides the mattress with unparalleled stability, a 3 inch middle layer made of CustomWave Foam which is a type of Latex foam for better breathability and lastly a 3 inch top layer of gel infused memory gel, which the company calls ComfortLuxe™.
The result is a comfortable but firm sleeping surface that does not wear down with use and allows you to get deep restful sleep that you deserve.
How does it differ from conventional memory foam mattresses?
At a time when memory foam mattresses are dime-a-dozen, it pays to be discerning before you swipe that card.
How different is this Novaform mattress from others? Is it marketing hype or does it actually make a difference when you crash at the end of a weary day?
Let’s deconstruct the mattress according to the layers.
- Memory Gel Layer: On top, you have the three inch memory foam layer with the Gel-Pearls that stays up to 60% cooler than conventional memory foam. This translates into much better thermoregulation when you sleep. You are less likely to wake up with sweat on your nape or your t-shirt pasted to your back. Also, there will be no pressure on your hips or shoulders even if you are habitual side sleeper. The spinal alignment due to the even weight distribution and pressure points results into better quality sleep and fewer back problems in the long run.
- Latex Foam layer: A latex layer under the memory foam prevents the dreaded sinking-foam problem that is common with cheap quality mattresses. The Novaform Serafina holds its shape and creates the precise ‘floating’ feeling that memory foam is so renowned for. Also, the latex layer enhances the breathability of the mattress. It will ensure that the airflow keeps you comfortable when you sleep.
- Base foam layer: It is very important to have a strong base layer to ensure that the mattress holds its shape and does not need to be flipped over every few months. The Novaform Pearl Gel Queen mattress has been designed for durable, long term performance. You are less likely to feel your partner moving around in bed which is one of the main reasons for disrupted sleep patterns.
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Honest customer ratings are always an indicator of the quality and the performance of a product. The Novaform 14 Memory foam mattress manages to garner some great reviews from customers and critics alike. Consumer Reports rated it among the best mattresses in 2015 and it has a score of 4 from 45 customer reviews.
It scores an equally impressive 4 on Amazon from 9 reviews and 4.2 on Costco from 459 reviews.
The mattress has been around for a while now and customers are really impressed with the cool gel technology that keeps your body cool even in warm ambient temperatures. The firm but soft surface also receives a lot of upvotes.
- 14 inch firm but soft sleeping surface
- 3 layers of different foam types
- 3 inch memory foam layer, 3 inch latex foam layer and an 8 inch base foam
- ComfortLuxe™ Gel-Pearl technology for optimum body temperature during sleep
- Soft and luxurious cover
- Allows natural spinal alignment
- Perfect for side sleepers
- Reduces the sensitivity of the mattress due to your partner’s movements
- Even body weight distribution
- 20 year warranty
- Made in the USA
What could be better
Despite the Novaform mattress having a firmness rating of 5 from 10 on Consumer Reports which makes it a soft mattress to sleep on, some customers have mentioned that they found it a tad hard for their liking. While softness of the mattress is an individual preference and a majority of the customer base found this mattress to be soft, you can add a mattress cover to make it softer if you find it too hard.
Verdict: Packed with features and ideal for all types of sleepers, the Novaform 14 inch Serafina Pearl Gel Mattress is one of the best mattresses in the market currently. It is comfortable, durable and has a proven track record. Also, it is available at a reduced price on Amazon for a while. Check it out now.